Planescape was cool but it had flaws and is long dead, let's make an update/revision of it. With 5e on the way it's a good time.
- The editions are in flux, so no mechanics.
- The planes should be a good place for adventure, even the upper planes or low-level adventures.
- Alignment is a blind and sometimes alien cosmic force, not the human condition. They may correlate, but they do not map.
- The planes should be big, not by writing 'infinite' everywhere like bad SF adds zeroes, but by evoking hugeness.
- Interesting aspects of the planes should be discussed in detail.
- The planes should be varied and distinct.
Overview of the Cosmos
- Law endorses an objective reality governed by impersonal rules. It is truth.
- Chaos endorses personal subjectivity. It is freedom.
- Good endorses selflessness and compassion.
- Evil endorses cruelty and malice.
- The Inner Planes are material. Conflicts here are mostly practical.
- The Outer Planes are idealist, the home of most gods and defined by belief. Conflicts here are mostly ideological.
- The Transitive Planes are connections and spaces between areas.
- The Prime Material Plane is the convergence of the Inner and Outer planes. It doesn't concern us very much.