"In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis of this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.
They called it the greatest discovery in human history.
The civilizations of the galaxy call it
Omega Effect is a prospective Mass Effect RPG set a few years before Mass Effect 1. I might decide to alter canon, but I'm not going to get ahead of myself here.
The game uses a similar point system to games such as Expanse or FRW.
Level 1 - 1 CP - Hobbyist
Level 2 - 3 CP - Amateur
Level 3 - 6 CP - Professional
Level 4 - 10 CP - Skilled Professional
Level 5 - 15 CP - Experienced Professional
Level 6 - 21 CP - Expert
Level 7 - 28 CP - Master
Level 8 - 36 CP - Ancient Master
Level 9 - 45 CP - Superlative
Level 10 - 55 CP - Unmatched
In short, to improve a trait costs (current level + 1)
- Physical - Your combined strength and agility, which governs attacking with weapons, doing athletic feats, and dodging.
- Endurance - Your physical toughness. Also useful for prolonged athletic activity.
- Perception - Your ability to notice things and track people.
- Response - Your mental agility - how fast you can process infora
- Intellect - Your skill in solving problems, as well as knowledge of academics and technology.
- Charisma- I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
- Integrity - Your mental endurance, inner strength, ability to resist torture and other mental influence.
Talents represent your characters primary skills, especially in combat. These operate using cinematic style, versus game mechanics style. A skilled user of telekinesis could use it to lift debris, unlock a door from the other side, or steal a gun from you enemy's hand, as well as the standard powers. Creative use is encouraged, and may give stunt bonuses.
- Combat Talents
- Firearms - This covers precision shooting and weapon related talents. Not having this talent doesn't make you unable to use a gun, but you would have a hard time making long ranges or fast shots
- Heavy Weapons - This covers machine guns and all kinds of big weapons.
- Tactics - CQB/Melee combat techniques, skills relating to armor like Immunity, and general skill in coordination.
- Tech Talents
- Devices - Making stuff and using it in the field - combat drones, bombs, advanced shields techniques, and the like fall under here, as well as attacks like incinerate.
- Hacking - This covers your ability to break into computers, as well as brute force jamming techniques like Overload and Sabotage.
- Covert Action - Stealth, concealment, and the use of active cloaks.
- Biotic Talents
- Telekinesis - This covers biotic throws and lifts, though it can useful for precision work or moving yourself.
- Kinetic Fields - Barriers of all kinds, which can be used offensively as well.
- Distortion - Warp and the like. Very destructive, and excellent at taking down kinetic barriers.
All classes have three talents. The pure classes get all three from one field, while mixed classes pick 2 from one field and 1 from the other. Soldier -> Combat, Adept -> Biotic, Engineer-> Tech, Vanguard -> Biotic/Combat, Infiltrator-> Tech/Combat, & Sentinel -> Biotic/Tech
As this game is focused on humans, humans are used as the baseline. They receive bonuses of +1 to 4 Stats or Talents of their choice.
Turians - +1 to Combat Talents, No Biotics, +1 Integrity, +1 Endurance
Salarians - +1 to Tech Talents, No Biotics, +2 , +1 Perception, -1 Endurance
Asari- +1 to Biotic Talents, +1 Charisma
Krogan - +1 to Combat Talents, +1 Physical, +2 Endurance, -2 Charisma
Quarians - +2 to Tech Talents, No Biotics, +1 Smarts, -2 Endurance
Batarian - +1 to Combat Talents, +1 Physical, +1 Perception, -1 Charisma
Weapons can be anything you want, though complicated weapons like sniper rifles and advanced mods require a firearms score to be of much use. Typically, you can swap out the gear in your weapon with a few actions and firearms / devices rolls. Armor comes in all varieties, and using lighter armor is easier on biotic and tech users. Omnitools are used by everyone, much like a smartphone or personal computer, but only specialist omnitools are suitable for tech abilities and fieldwork.
Superior equipment can sometimes be obtained for an additional cost. When you or the group receive resources, I will inform you of what level of gear you can purchase with your resources. Better gear can give a bonus on rolls or negate failures.