Neo Robots used a D10 roll-under dice pool system; you may roll 1 or more dice with the target number determined by your Ability level and any modifiers. Thus an Ability of 5 means every 5 or less rolled is one success.
Gear determines your dice pool. Better gear will provide larger dice pools, but highly skilled individuals can often make effective use of inferior gear while poorly trained ones will waste the potential of excellent gear. Note that 'gear' includes mecha and the like, not just personal gear.
Some gear has a skill floor; having an ability rating below the skill floor means the character is overwhelmed by controlling/using the item and loses one dice for every level they are deficient.
Character actions where no 'gear' is available (such as trying to bargain with a shopkeeper for a new beam saber) will instead have an assigned pool generally determined by the difficulty of the situation; the more favorable the situation, the larger the pool and vice-versa.
- An ability may be rolled upon entering a scene which will provide supporting dice pool for the duration of the scene. For example, rolling investigation to dig up dirt on mafioso before going in for the high-stakes showdown, or rolling dress-up before the big party. Support rolls should be made at the start of the scene and should be rolled to some broad purpose; support rolls are not automatic additions to all situations. Digging up dirt on mafioso will not help if you get into a bar fight, etc.
- The cost for each of the first five levels of any ability is equal to the new level with the exception of level 1, which costs 6 XP (or 1 XP if a trainer can be found, which is assumed for all abilities during character creation).
- The cost for level 6 is 20 XP, with every level after that doubling.
- Table for XP cost per level.
- Level 1 - 1/6XP (1 XP total)
- Level 2 - 2XP (3 XP total)
- Level 3 - 3XP (6 XP total)
- Level 4 - 4XP (10 XP total)
- Level 5 - 5XP (15 XP total)
- Level 6 - 20XP (35 XP total)
- Level 7 - 40P (75 XP total)
- Level 8 - 80XP (155 XP total)
- Level 9 - 160XP (315 XP total)
Ability bundles can also be purchased at character creation. These have a provide a flat ability level for all abilities in a family at reduced cost. For families that have sub-abilities (such as Niche Knowledge), bundles provide one per level of bundle.
- Level 1 bundle: 5 XP
- Level 2 bundle: 13 XP
- Level 3 bundle: 25 XP
- Level 4 bundle: 44 XP
- Full Dodge:
- Auto Dodge X: You get X dodges per combat round without having to spend actions.
- Abilities are your character's stats. Neo Robots does not draw a meaningful distinction between 'attributes' and 'skills, with the interaction of both rolled together.
- Avatar Abilities
- Avatar Melee (ten meter long laser swords)
- Avatar Brawl (unarmed fighting, along with general manipulation and fine control)
- Avatar Skirmish (mobile run and gun)
- Avatar Snipe (long range precision firing)
- Avatar Electronics (sensors, ewar and BVR weapons)
- Avatar Kinesis (dodging, gross movement, most piloting-related checks)
- Social Abilities
- Intellectual Abilities
- Grand Strategy
- Academics (generalized 'knowing things')
- Niche Knowledge [Specify]
- Physical Abilities
- Avatar Abilities